October 14th, 2022
• October is Mi'kmaq History Month - Here are five of the many forced changes and unpleasant traumatic experiences lived by former students that have been documented: 1) Use of toxic chemicals to clean children’s hair and skin; 2) Forbidden to speak their Indigenous languages; 3) Required to adopt religious denomination of the school and pray in their manner; 4) Exposure to freezing outside temperatures with improper clothing; 5) Forced labour in unsafe work environments.
• Girls Soccer – In case you missed it, the Fairview girls soccer team had an excellent game on Wednesday against Sacred Hearts. The score was 5-0 with amazing goals and assists by Melissa, Sydney, Stefanie and Abby. The defence held their ground – great job Lacey, Roxanne, Olivia, Rachel and Ella! Don’t miss out our supporting the girls today at 5:15 pm on the Fairview field against St. Agnes. Girls please come ready to play.
• Boys Soccer - The Jr. Boys' soccer team continued their winning ways yesterday winning 6-2 against Park West. The offence was led by Zeyad Dahab's 3 goals along with 2 goals by Bashir Alobeiydi and 1 goal from Max White. The boys hope to extend their winning streak to 3 games today against Clayton Park at the Glenbourne Soccer Field at 4pm.
• Boys Volleyball - Practice is cancelled today.
• Chess Club – The first meeting will be on Monday, October 17, at 2:30 pm in Mr. Drake’s room # 107. Forms are still available for new players. See Mr. Drake if you have questions.
• Remembrance Day Poster Contest - Calling all artists! Calling all those who can draw or paint. Fairview is having a Poster Contest. The theme: Remembrance Day and honouring our veterans. There will be prizes for the best art work. Bring your art to the office or to Ms. Chisholm's class - room 110.
• Nourish Your Roots - Fairview, we’re doing an amazing job selling boxes for our Nourish Your Roots campaign. Your hard work benefits our school’s healthy food programs like our Breakfast Program and Healthy Eating Initiative. Keep up good work and come to the office to get the order forms. Deadline is October 21.